Sunday, June 26, 2011

Goodbye Orvieto

We're down to our last two and a half hours here in Orvieto, and then we board a train to Bologna where we'll board another train to Paris. It's hard to believe we're leaving when I'm sitting at my favorite caffe where my favorite baristas have gotten to know me and say "ciao!" when they see me. But I had an awesome last 24 hours here, so I am totally content with my final days.

This weekend, as I mentioned I think, is the Corpus Domini festivities. Yesterday was the Lady's Parade or something to that effect where a ton of Orvieto women walked up and down the streets in beautiful Medieval costumes, even the littlest members.

There was another, bigger procession this morning and it made me wonder how one is able to participate. Is it a privilege to be invited? Are the costumes passed on from generation to generation?

Last night the majority of Orvieto kids that were still around we to an underground wine tasting. However, it wasn't so much a wine tasting as an all-you-can-drink wine buffet with only two types of wine. But since there was plenty of wine, it goes without saying that it was a lot of fun. The chefs and waiters at the restaurant made no effort to hide how much they love American girls and kept insisting on taking pictures with all of us...it was kind of weird, but I wasn't too concerned considering we are leaving today. 

Well I have said all my goodbyes and packed up all my stuff, all that's left is to board the train and head on out. I don't know what my internet situation will be from now on, but hopefully I'll be able to keep this blog updated one way or another!

Grazie e arrivederci!

No comments:

Post a Comment