Friday, June 10, 2011

Things I Miss about America

Since I am a little over halfway through my time in Europe, I decided to post some things I miss about home that just do not exist here in Orvieto/Italy in general.

1. One Stop Shopping: At times, it is charming that you have to go to three different stores to get three different items, but most of the time, it's annoying. I miss being able to go to Target and buy everything I need without running around town.

2. Coffee to Go: The Italians don't really drink coffee out of necessity, so they drink it casually in caffes, no one walks around carrying drinks on the streets of Orvieto. But I wish I could run into a coffee shop (Starbucks) and get a drink to go (grande, non-fat, iced chai).

3. Normal Store Hours: As great as siesta is for napping, it is terribly inconvenient because most stores close between 12 and 4, and most restaurants close after the lunch rush and don't open up again until about 7 pm. So if you want to shop or eat during siesta...you're pretty much out of luck. I always seem to forget about this too, and it's still disappointing to walk to a store and remember "Oh yeah...siesta."

4. Breakfast: In one of my favorite shows, Chuck, two of the characters are in Europe and one says to the other "Croissants for breakfast everyday? Europe is brilliant!" I remember seeing that and thinking, "Yeah! They are!" But no...what happened to breakfast being the most important meal of the day? I need PROTEIN. Eggs. Hashbrowns. Pancakes.

5. Real Showers: The ones here are tiny and it's almost impossible to feel completely clean afterwards.

6. Free water: Here it is not custom for restaurants to give water as a courtesy, so you have to pay around 2 euros for water every time. It adds up.

7. Mexican Food: Salsa and guacamole...enough said.

8. TV: Sad, but true.

9. Sunshine: It's been raining here for 10 days. TEN. What? I need the sun.

10. Oh yeah, my family, friends, and dogs: I miss you all so much and I can't wait to see you in less than three weeks!

1 comment:

  1. we were number 10, after free water???? :-)

    love you too and we miss you on the top of our list!

    ReplyDelete