Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Take Me Out Tonight/Touring Orvieto

Last night after our Chinese-Italian dinner and our allotted internet time, Michelle and I went out to the Bar Duomo with a bunch of people from our group. It was a lot of fun and just...weird to go out and order a drink, legally, at a bar! In addition to wine, we also got the opportunity to order cocktails! I tried to be all classy and Carrie Bradshaw-y and ordered a Cosmo...but the Italian bar tender didn't know how to make one (even though it was on the menu) so he made me a "Japanese Slipper" instead which was a green drink and very sweet, but very good. Italians don't drink to get drunk, so it was fun to just chill (although some other "patrons" did have a little bit too much...)
Today our "field trip" was a tour of Orvieto. First we toured the gorgeous Duomo at the center of town. There's lots of history about it, but I can't really remember all the details...basically, it's old, beautiful, and important.
We also toured Orvieto Underground which is a series of caves under the city. The steps in the cave were made of terracotta, I found it funny that the people who dug out these caves hundreds of years ago used the same stone for their cave steps that people in Arizona seek out for their pool decks.
Afterwards, Michelle and I met up (our group was divided up) and tried to find a Pizzeria we had heard was good. On the way, Michelle mentioned that she learned on her tour that a restaurant here makes the best Spaghetti alla Carbonara (spaghetti with bacon). I made an empty promise that I would break my vegetarianism someday and try it with her. However, we ran into the restaurant on the way, and I had to walk the walk and eat it. Getting enough protein here has been very difficult for all of us, Italians eat croissants only for breakfast and not all dishes contain a source of protein, so bacon actually sounded like a really good idea.
I wasn't a huge fan of it, but I'm glad I tried it.
After lunch was homework (nap) and then at 4 we resumed our touring. The last part of it was a tour of the Medieval Quarter and a walk up the clock tower. The clock tower is really tall, and the hike up it was exhausting. But the views from the top were absolutely beautiful and totally worth it.
This picture shows off just how huge and striking the Duomo is compared the the rest of the town.
Well, that's all for today! The internet in our apartment isn't working tonight, so I had to use the much slower connection at the Caffe del Corso up the street. Hopefully another day I'll have more time/patience to upload the rest of my Orvieto pictures to Facebook. But it's probably a good thing our internet doesn't work so we'll be forced to do homework.

Miss and love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment